Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I woke up a bed potato

          It was a bright morning. The birds were chirping and the breeze was blowing. The suns rays seeped in through the crack in the curtain and caressed my feet. The brightness was too much for me to carry on sleeping anymore. Besides I was ravishingly, and very surprisingly so, hungry! Well, I decided, it must be one of those perfect days. I laid in bed a few more minutes and thought of the day ahead. Not too many problems. It was going to be quite an ordinary day and so I had the power, with a little creativity and effort to make it a good day.

        As I propped myself up from bed, I realized I was not able to move. Strange, I couldn't feel my legs. And then I noticed that I couldn't feel my hands either. Was I paralyzed? Fear crept in and my mind started thinking the worst. It started showing me images of myself in the near future - a comatose body with drips hanging around in a white horrid hospital room with no-one around. Just my frail useless body and the dangling tubes. No, my extra cautious mind was playing games I thought. I tried raising my fingers again - but I couldn't, it felt like I didn't have any limbs anymore.

          With a lot of difficulty and rocking back and forth I rolled to one side so that I could see my self in the mirror at the side of the bed. It was about half and hour or so before I managed to roll over. I was exhausted by the time the task was done. I stared at myself in  the mirror, a cry escaped my mind, but I didn't have a mouth to voice it, just a random set of eyes that were set all around my body.

           I was a potato!

          The horror! I didn't even like potatoes. Why was this happening to me? How is this even possible? I am unable to comprehend any of this. It was supposed to be a good day for me and here I am, a potato lying in bed unable to move. Now I know what it felt like to be called a vegetable - alive and yet dead. And I was so out of shape, I looked ghastly. A big,brown,over sized,unshapely dirty potato. How was I going to communicate to my mother when she came into the room with my tea. How am I to tell her its me? Dad loves his potato curry, what if mother decides to make potato curry for the next few days using me? Oh mighty creator - why this undue pain to me?

         My dreams of a life with Kavitha. How were they to materialize with me like this? She already was of the opinion that I was a wasted soul while I was human. Imagine she sees me as a potato. She would feed me to the nearest cow and be done with it rather than live with a useless old potato. No, this was not to happen. I needed to get out of this. I had to move, do something. Maybe if I could just reach the balcony, I could jump over and get it done. Yes, that was a fitting end to this misery. I would not live a potato, I would rather die as one.

       With all the carbohydrate that I could muster I rolled and rolled for what felt like hours together and managed to reach the edge of the cot. With memories of all my loved ones I rolled off and awaited the worst.

        I opened my eyes and saw the legs of the cot. My head ached from the bump it got from the fall and my hand were bruised. That had to be the dream of the century. Amma came into the room and asked if everything was alright.She had heard the thump of my fall.  I smiled at her and smiled even harder seeing the half peeled potato in her hand.

       

        

No comments:

Post a Comment